Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What an exciting week!!!

And it's only Wednesday! Let's see, where to start??? Well, Monday was a very productive day for me. I spent all day completing things on my OCD, mostly neurotic lists. I got some amazing projects done such as updating my birthday list, updating my budget, and compiling a list of what all we (well, Stuart) needs to do around the house. I checked off several things from my never ending list that I would never have had time to do if not for living in the hospital.
Tuesday started off a little rocky, with my first real melt down since I have been here. Looking back I can't really say what went wrong, but I know it involved something about not having clean clothes and then getting caught crying by a visitor, which of course just led to more tears. Nothing a shower didn't fix though! After my shower I had a surprise visit from a friend who had her baby the day before and was getting ready to go home. I really wanted to see the baby, and of course she couldn't push me in a wheelchair and the baby couldn't come to my floor, so I was left with few options. I won't admit how I got up to the 4th floor and back- but it was so worth it because the baby was adorable! When I got back to my room it was time for my lunch date with Whitney T. I didn't think anything was up when Whitney P, Jackie and her babies showed up to visit too. The babies of course were also so cute! I was very surprised when, instead of taking me outside, they took me to a surprise baby shower get together with some other friends in the cafeteria. Thank you all who were able to come, and thank you for the generous gifts for these boys. It was so nice to get to go to a social event and, of course, eat yummy cupcakes!! Apparently, my sneaky friends had even approved this event with my doctor!! It was a very nice surprise!!! The day was topped off with a great visit from Grams, Rach, Stuart and my Jace. Jace has been especially snugly lately and loves to go visit with his nurse friends. I admit I was exhausted by bedtime, but it was all so worth it!!!
Today, my therapy team members snuck me away at lunch to go watch a lecture given by one of the neonatologists. I know, to those of you functioning in the real world, a lecture is probably not an exciting event, but I was so glad to exercise my brain! I had started to wonder if it was becoming atrophied like my muscles. I am glad to report- I think it is still ok!! Oh, and I got to take 2 apples back to my room, that is really a treasure!
These boys must be getting bigger. I feel like room at the inn is getting a little cramped. I don't know how it is possible, but the baby on my right likes to stick his foot on top of my ribs pretty high up. I would not be surprised if I felt his toes resting on my clavicle soon!! Looking back, I remember how hard it was for me to carry the 50 pound bag of dog food from the aisle to the counter at Walmart. Well, I basically now have a bag and a half strapped around my midsection. How in the world am I able to walk at all??? That thought is moderately comforting when I get back from my laps around the nurses station and have to lay down for 15 minutes to catch my breath!
Happy Wednesday everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. If you decide that you want to see a friend's baby on the 4th floor again. Ask the nurses. THEY WILL TAKE YOU!!! My friend Kelly had her baby while I was there and they took me up in a wheelchair and left me and then came back to get me when I called. They also did this for me when a friend's baby was in the PICU. THEY DON'T MIND!!!!!!!!!

    Glad you had a good day though and don't worry about the melt down. They happen and it's okay:)

    ReplyDelete